Monday, January 18, 2010

What a load of Bol.

Flicking through the Times newspaper today, I came across an article dedicated to the well-loved Italian dish SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE. It is known to most that what we consider to be a good Bolognese is very different from the thoughts of native Italian eaters. It is seen as the dish 'cooked worst than most', which I half agree with - I've had some shockers. But the other half of me says: everyone cooks in their own way so why should that change with Spag Bol? I occasionally cook mine with added sun-dried tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, lots of red wine and Bay leaves, and I am certain that's not how the Italians do it.


Living in Bologna last year, I ate 'Bol' - what they call tagliatelli al ragu - often. It was served with very little tomato, hints of crumbly liver, and fresh, yellow tagliatelli. You really can't get more authentic than that...

Or so I thought...

The article, on p. 35 of Monday's paper, is now telling me that

'They don't even make it properly in Bologna any more'.

Now I am craving to know what the original recipe is! If they can't make it, who can?

1 comment:

  1. lovely rose! what a beautiful blog you are making. send me more info about you: rosie@rosiesdelicafe.com xxx

    ReplyDelete